90’s fashion has made an undeniable comeback the past few years, now it’s time for 90s hair to have its moment! From statement hair clips, to space buns, and braids. You’re sure to find a 90s hairstyle that’s not only super on-trend but also easy to do at home. Keep reading for 6 funky 90s inspired hairstyles you can do from the comfort of your bedroom!
6 Trendy 90s Inspired Hairstyles You Can do at Home
Space buns were hugely popular amongst the festival and club scene in the 90s, but now they’ve gone mainstream and are here to stay! Whether you choose to style them with glitter, bright color, funky clips, or with a simple scrunchie, space buns are the ultimate on-trend 90s resurgence. They’re also the perfect way to add a little fun to your look for a summer party or girl’s brunch!
How to Style Space Buns:
- Brush your hair making sure it’s free of any tangles and knots.
- Separate your hair down the middle into two even sections. Make sure your middle part is as straight as possible!
- Gather your hair and tie it into a ponytail, positioning it to your liking. Smooth out any loose hair before tying, then repeat on the other side.
- To make your space buns, twist the length of your hair around the base of your ponytail. Secure it with a hair tie, or cute scrunchie.
- Then seal the deal with a few bobby pins to tidy up any flyaway.
You might not have the expertise to style your hair into a French or waterfall braid, but you sure can style a bubble braid! Not only is it super easy to do, but you’ll also trick people into thinking you spent time doing your hair. So if you’re pressed for time and need low maintenance do that still looks stylish this 90s inspired hairstyles is for you!
How to Style Bubble Braids
- Decide whether you want a low, medium, or high bubble braid and tie your hair up into a ponytail.
- Then, continue to tie hair ties down the length of your hair leaving an inch or two in between.
- Gently use your fingers to pull the hair apart in each section, creating a bubble.
- Use a hairspray to hold your on-trend bubble braids in place all night long.
Middle Part with Butterfly Clips
You’ve probably seen the resurgence of butterfly clips all over Pinterest and Instagram. It’s to say the cutest 90s hair accessory has made a real comeback! Want to instantly transform a boring hairdo into a trendy look with no effort required? Ditch the bobby pins and swap them out for these nostalgic clips!
How to Style a Middle Part With Butterfly Clips
- Use a comb to part your hair down the middle.
- Starting on one side, grab a small piece of hair from your hairline.
- Twist it away from your face, and secure it just above your ear with your butterfly clips.
- Repeat on the other side for an effortless but very cute hair day!
P.S. are you using the right shampoo? Are your haircare products too harsh? Check out Can Hair Products Make Your Scalp Itchy? Is Your Shampoo too Harsh? to find out!
Nothing screams 90s like high pigtails and thankfully, they couldn’t be easier to do at home!
Channel your inner baby spice, and grab your scrunchies cus that’s all you need to rock this do. If you want to take this old-school look to the next level, spruce it up by adding your butterfly clips, or statement barrettes. (Also 90s inspired, of course.)
How to Style High Pigtails
- Comb your hair, making sure it’s free of any tangles.
- Using a comb, find your middle part and separate your hair into two equal parts, going directly down the back of your scalp.
- Take one part, pull it up near the top of your head, and secure it with your scrunchie.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Take your texturizing spray and spay it on the length of your pigtails.
- Use your hands to gently scrunch your pigtails to add volume and texture to your look!
Mini Front Braids
Mini-front braids might take you down right down memory lane. Maybe you rocked this adorable hairstyle when you were 10? Now it’s back, and it’s the perfect do for your lunch dates or Zoom calls. You can rock this look with a chic pony, half up half down, or even with your statement headband!
How to Style Mini Front Braids With Hair Down:
- Separate your hair into a middle part, combing out any tangles
- Take a 1-inch section from each side and braid them using the 3-straback, and.
- Secure the braids with elastic bands.
- (Optional, add one or two more 1-inch braids to each side, or stick with one.)
- Finish your look by rubbing this frizz control mousse between your hands and apply it over your hair to combat frizz.
When it comes to 90s inspired hairstyles, the claw clip can not be forgotten. Styling your hair with a claw clip is the ultimate lazy-girl hairstyle, perfect for your work-from-home days or a quick coffee run. All you do is twist and clip, and you’ve got a chic look updo to do on the fly. Say bye-bye to boring buns and hello to the trendy claw clip!
How to Style the Claw Clip:
- Comb your hair and gather it into a low pony.
- Twist the length of your hair until it is coiled.
- Pull the hair up to the middle of your head.
- Use your claw clip to secure the ends of your hair to your scalp.
- Tease the ends of your hair over the clip.
Before you go, don’t forget to join our newsletter below!